Full Upper Replacement in Great Neck, NY
If you have lost most of the teeth in your upper jaw, or if you are soon to lose them, you may be feeling a lot of anxiety, frustration, or embarrassment. People who suffer from tooth loss due to decay, injury, or periodontal disease often avoid social situations because they do not want to smile, eat, or even speak around others. Those with dentures understand the inconvenience of having to take them out and put them back in, the challenges associated with cleaning them, and the discomfort that comes with wearing them.
Thankfully, the Great Neck cosmetic dentistry professionals of Passes Dental Care can offer a full upper replacement procedure. This solution is more comfortable and durable than dentures and incredibly cost-effective in the long run. Call us today at 516-858-5921 for an appointment.
What Is a Full Upper Replacement?
A full upper replacement (arch replacement) is a procedure in which the full set of teeth in the upper jaw is replaced with dental implants and fixed bridges. This solution is stable and durable, providing the patient with an aesthetically pleasing replacement that can increase their confidence levels. Recent advances in dental technology have made it possible to support the maximum number of teeth with a minimum number of implants, making the procedure far less invasive and much safer than it was in the past. The result is a full set of upper teeth that look just as good and work just as well as your natural ones did.
How Does the Procedure Work?
Once you decide to have a full upper replacement, Passes Dental Care will explain how the process works and send you home with instructions. The pre-operative phase includes steps such as:
- Finding someone to drive you to your appointment and back home afterward
- Taking prescribed antibiotics
- Fasting before the procedure if IV sedation is required
- Rinsing your mouth with an antimicrobial mouthwash
The first phase of the procedure involves placing between four and six dental implants into your upper jaw beneath the gumline. These implants are titanium posts that act as artificial roots for the teeth, allowing the oral surgeon to mount the replacement bridge. The implant will fuse to the bone cells in your upper jawbone, allowing the bridge to stay securely in place. This integration process can take several months. In the meantime, your dentist will attach temporary teeth so that you can eat and live your life as normal while the implants are fusing to your jaw.
After enough time has passed, the next step is fitting and installing the bridge onto the implants. Your new upper teeth will feel secure and comfortable, and you can use them just like natural teeth.
What Are the Benefits of a Full Upper Replacement?
In addition to the obvious aesthetic benefits of having a full set of upper teeth again, people who have had a full upper replacement notice many of the following advantages:
- Durability – A full arch dental implant can last anywhere from five to fifteen years or longer. Having the whole upper replaced at once makes it far less likely that you will have to return for individual repairs frequently.
- Cost-Effectiveness – Having a full arch of dental implants at once is much less expensive in the long run than just having one or two implants done at a time. It will also mean far fewer trips to the dentist.
- Faster Healing Time – If you go in for multiple dental implants, you will have to endure a new healing process each time. Having a full upper replacement makes your overall healing time much shorter. Your dentist will also give you pain medications so that you can be as comfortable as possible as you heal.
- Ease of Maintenance – Taking care of your implants involves the same procedures as caring for your natural teeth. You must continue brushing and floss regularly to remove plaque, food, and debris from your mouth. You should also continue to see your dentist for routine cleanings, exams, and X-rays.
- Cavity Resistance – Unlike natural teeth, implants are cavity-resistant. As long as you take good care of your implants, you should be able to avoid any serious issues.
- Increased Comfort – If you currently have dentures, you know how uncomfortable they can be. Biting and chewing can feel like a chore, not to mention the daily need to attach them with adhesives. Rather than making your life easier, dentures can lead to a great deal of insecurity. Full arch implants, on the other hand, offer excellent stability and comfort. They will allow you to eat, chew, smile, laugh, kiss, and speak normally again.
- Improved Jawbone Health – When you lose your natural teeth, the underlying jawbone begins to degrade. This can have an effect on your facial structure as well as the chewing and biting power of your jaw itself. Fortunately, implants can stabilize the jaw and stimulate the living bone cells to which they are attached, preventing the loss of the volume and density of your jawbone. With a full arch of implants in place, you will immediately notice the strength returning to your jawline, in addition to a more robust and youthful-looking facial profile.
Contact a Great Neck Full Upper Replacement Dentist
If you have lost all the teeth in your upper jaw, or if you know that you will need to have the teeth that remain extracted, contact the Great Neck dentists of Passes Dental Care to see if a full upper replacement is the right solution for you. We take pride in the services we provide to our patients in Great Neck. We understand the challenges that come along with tooth loss, and we treat each of our patients with professionalism and compassion at every step of the way.
Call us today at 516-858-5921 for an appointment to learn more about receiving a full upper replacement. We look forward to helping you achieve the bright, beautiful, healthy smile you deserve.