Posterior Tooth Replacement in Great Neck, NY
If you have a missing or damaged posterior tooth, you should contact Passes Dental Care immediately. You might be a candidate for a dental implant.
A missing tooth is more than an aesthetic problem. It can cause confidence issues but also increases the risk of medical complications. When there’s a gap between your teeth, food can become trapped in the space and lead to an infection. It’s also more challenging to chew your food correctly.
Posterior teeth are the molars and premolars towards the back of the mouth. They have flatter surfaces than anterior teeth and could contain grooves, pits, and fissures. This makes the posterior teeth ideal for biting and chewing food. However, they’re susceptible to damage, fracturing, and falling out like any other tooth. When that happens, an implant might be necessary.
At Passes Dental Care, our Great Neck cosmetic dental professionals have over 45 years of experience treating patients with a range of oral and dental concerns. You will receive the quality posterior tooth replacement you need to improve your smile and boost your self-esteem. Call us at 516-858-5921 right now for an appointment.
What Is a Posterior Tooth Replacement?
Whether you need to replace one or multiple posterior teeth, a dental implant might be right for you. Dental implants substitute for the root of the tooth. They work as a sturdy foundation for a new tooth.
Dentists can customize the implant to match the color, size, and shape of the patient’s natural tooth for a seamless look. The durability of an implant allows it to last a long time with proper dental care and oral hygiene.
Several different parts make up a dental implant for a posterior tooth. They are:
- Implant – The implant fuses to the bone below the gumline after surgical placement. It acts as a stable foundation for the other parts and the replacement tooth.
- Abutment – The abutment connects the crown and implant.
- Crown – The crown is the replacement tooth. It consists of different materials to blend in with the rest of the teeth.
Passes Dental Care offers three types of implants. The one you choose will depend on your needs and eligibility:
- Root implant – A root implant is the most common implant for patients needing to replace a single tooth. A screw similar to the shape of the tooth root gets placed into the jaw bone with a crown placed over it. After healing and integration of the implant with the bone, the new tooth can go over the implant.
- Subperiosteal implant – Someone without the necessary bone width or height for other types of implants might benefit from a subperiosteal implant. An impression of the jawbone allows customization of the implant for a perfect fit. The implant goes underneath the gums and rests on top of the jawbone.
- Plate form implant – Some people don’t qualify for a root implant because their jawbone is too narrow or short. A plate form implant could be the right solution to the missing tooth. It is a long implant set directly in the jawbone. Bone and tissue can grow around the implant as it heals for a secure fit.
When you meet us for the first time, we can examine your missing posterior tooth to determine which implant is best for you. Each option is durable and looks like a real tooth. You can talk, chew, and smile without worrying about whether the implant looks fake or out of place.
Benefits of a Posterior Dental Implant
Replacing a missing posterior tooth or multiple teeth provides various advantages. Dental implants can be more beneficial than a bridge or porcelain crown. If you’re a candidate for a posterior implant, you could experience any of the benefits below:
- Natural look – Many people think implants look fake. However, customizing the crown gives implants a natural look to match your real teeth.
- Stability – A dentist surgically places the implant into the jawbone. That means they stay firmly in place and won’t fall out of your mouth. Additionally, they’re sturdy enough to chew and bite food without cracking or becoming damaged.
- Affordable price – Implants can last a lifetime if you practice good oral hygiene. Although the initial cost of an implant seems expensive, it’s well worth it when you think about the long-lasting benefits. Instead of buying specialty products, you can use the same toothpaste, floss, and mouthwash you have always used to maintain a healthy mouth, teeth, and gums.
- Avoid shifting teeth – A gap between two teeth allows those teeth to shift along the gumline. When shifting occurs, uneven spaces and crooked teeth create an unpleasant smile and poor functionality. Implants maintain the jaw and mouth structure, so chewing, talking, and biting aren’t problematic.
- Easy maintenance – Caring for an implant is the same as caring for your natural teeth. Brush and floss regularly to remove plaque, food, and debris from your mouth. You should also see your dentist for routine cleanings, X-rays, and exams.
- Resistant to cavities – Implants are cavity-resistant, unlike natural teeth. You should be able to prevent severe issues as long as you take good care of the implants.
Reach out to Passes Dental Care right now if you want to discuss the available options for a posterior tooth replacement in Great Neck, NY.
How a Posterior Tooth Replacement Works
Passes Dental Care will explain the process of replacing your posterior tooth and send you home with instructions. Pre-operative steps to follow might include:
- Finding someone to drive you on the day of the appointment
- Taking antibiotics
- Fasting before the procedure if you plan to receive IV sedation
- Rinsing your mouth with an antibacterial mouthwash
Posterior replacement happens in two phases. Phase one involves administering sedation or anesthesia before making an incision in the gums. The dentist uses a drill to create a space for inserting the dental implant. After applying a protective barrier to the implant and stitching up the incision, you can go home to rest and heal.
During the second phase, another incision in the gums exposes the inserted implant to place the crown. An impression of the space will ensure a secure fit to replace the missing tooth. After the crown is put into position, you have a new tooth.
At Passes Dental Care, we take pride in the services we provide to our patients in Great Neck. We treat each person with professionalism and compassion during every appointment, exam, and surgical procedure. We want to meet your needs and give you the beautiful and healthy smile you have always wanted.
Call us at 516-858-5921 today for your appointment to learn more about a posterior replacement for your missing tooth.