Routine Pediatric Dental Cleanings in Great Neck
As many parents know, convincing your children of the importance of routine oral health can be challenging. As a result, you must take extra special care to ensure that their teeth stay clean and healthy until they are old enough to take control of their own dental hygiene.
Part of this responsibility includes ensuring that your kid gets regular teeth cleanings with an oral hygienist. Even if your child is excellent at remembering to floss and brush properly, there will always be parts of their mouths that will remain unreachable without professional help. For this reason, teeth cleanings are a critical part of your child’s dental health routine.
The trusted Great Neck pediatric dentist at Passes Dental Care is ready to help your young one get off to a great start with their oral hygiene routine. Call us today at 516-858-5921 or fill out our online form to make an appointment.
Maintaining the Health of Baby Teeth
Because we all know that baby teeth are temporary, many parents assume that dental hygienist appointments are not as necessary for younger children as for kids with permanent teeth. However, this is not the case. Your child will not lose all their baby teeth until they are around 12 years old. This means that children will spend all their formative years chewing, speaking, and otherwise developing while they have their baby teeth.
Furthermore, your kid’s baby teeth need to stay healthy to maintain the health of their gums, and to save space in their jaw for when their permanent teeth grow in.
Finally, decay on baby teeth can make it more likely that permanent teeth will decay later in life. Keeping baby teeth healthy, on the other hand, will make it more likely that early oral hygiene habits will last into your child’s adult years.
Why Are Professional Teeth Cleanings Important for Children?
There are numerous reasons why having regular teeth cleanings is important for children. These include:
- Preventing cavities – Among all ages, the leading cause of tooth decay is plaque. Plaque is an acidic substance that forms on your teeth and begins to wear tooth enamel away. When enamel has worn away, cavities begin to form. While daily brushing and flossing can prevent plaque buildup, a professional oral hygiene appointment at Passes Dental Care will be an even more thorough way of ridding the mouth of plaque.
- Preventing tooth loss – The leading cause of tooth loss among adults is gum disease caused by plaque. Having regular teeth cleanings with an oral hygienist can help maintain the health of the gums, reducing the risk of tooth loss in your child’s adulthood.
- Keeping teeth white – Because children enjoy eating candy and snacks that can stain or discolor their teeth, regular teeth cleanings are necessary to keep this coloration from becoming permanent.
- Freshening breath – Sometimes, your child may have bad breath because of something they recently ate. However, if your child’s breath is frequently bad, it may be due to gum disease or some form of oral infection. A proper oral health routine, including regular teeth cleanings, can help stave off the kinds of problems that cause bad breath.
- Improving oral health – In addition to preventing oral health problems your child might encounter in their youth, teaching them the importance of regular oral hygienist visits can help instill a lifelong habit for them that they may be more likely to continue when they are older.
- Saving money – Regular teeth cleanings can be an incredible investment. Removing dental plaque on a regular basis can greatly reduce the risk that more serious problems will emerge in the future. Emergency dental visits and procedures can be expensive. Preventing tooth decay, diseases, and infection ahead of time can save you a lot of money in the long run.
How Often Should Children Visit a Dental Hygienist?
You can schedule your child to see the dentist as soon as their first tooth is visible. From there, you can bring them in every six months.
You may be worried that bringing your child in for their first dentist’s appointment might be overwhelming or traumatic. However, the dental professionals at Passes Dental Care have years of experience working with young children, and we will do all we can to ensure that your kid’s visit to our offices will be painless and enjoyable.
What Will Happen During My Child’s Appointment?
We pride ourselves in knowing how to help children understand what we are doing to clean their teeth and keep them healthy, and we are always happy to answer any questions they may have.
During the cleaning itself, the oral hygienist will use an electric spinning tooth polisher to clean the teeth thoroughly, using a fun flavored toothpaste. If we find any hardened plaque, or tartar, on the teeth, we will remove it with a curved tool that is designed for the purpose.
Finally, if the parent or guardian approves, we will apply a flavored fluoride varnish to the teeth that will help to strengthen the enamel.
Contact a Great Neck Pediatric Oral Hygienist Today
Parents have so much to deal with every day. Keeping your child’s dental health front of mind can sometimes feel difficult. However, by investing in clean and healthy teeth and gums today, you can help your child maintain a healthy mouth throughout their life. Part of this involves getting them in the habit of cleaning their own teeth daily. But it is just as important to ensure that they receive regular teeth cleanings from a professional oral hygienist.
The Great Neck dental health team of Passes Dental Care understands the challenges that come with keeping children’s teeth clean and healthy. Fortunately, we also have the necessary experience and skills to help your child develop excellent oral health skills in their early years. Schedule an appointment for your child today by calling 516-858-5921 or by filling out our online form.